Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The view from here


She is full of energy. From the moment she wakes up she's ready to go. She jumps up from her nap and the first words our of her mouth are that she wants to show Daddy the birdies outside.

She makes up her own words and sings little songs to herself while she plays dolls. She pretends they are her friends and she goes through the hardship of making them share with each other.

She cannot wait to go outside and explore. She loves to be the helper and do whatever needs done- fill the bird feeders-check. Work with Dad in the garage- check. Pull some weeds- check.

She cannot stand to be wet (unless she is swimming). One drop of water will insure a clothing change. Graham must not dare to think about sucking on one of her stuffed animals. Please do not wash her hands. Ever. And if you clean her face off, kindly make sure the washcloth does not touch her shirt or hair.

She loves to read. She will read as many books as you can before you tire. She is noticing things on the pages and can chime in on the end of rhyming words. She can say many nursery rhymes and enjoys reciting them with me.

She is strong willed. She wants what she wants and gets desperate if she can't get it. She is working through a phase where transitions are so hard and leaving is so sad. She has changed from super outgoing to - "give me a while before I warm up". She and I often butt heads (I think we are alike?!) Her demanding nature gets tiresome at times..

But just when I can take no more. Just when I've had enough of "I want" and "Give me" I hear a spontaneous "please" and "thank you". When there is no more room for another whine in the van, instead she shares randomly "I'm so excited to ride on a school bus Mama". When the tears have dried from another disaster, there is a little body crawling up in my lap with her blanket who falls asleep at my side. And my heart swells and I think I can't love her any more than I do.

No comments: